Greenberg to make call on Scott by end of the week

We’re sorry, this service is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

Advertisement

This was published 1 year ago

Greenberg to make call on Scott by end of the week

By Sarah Keoghan

NRL boss Todd Greenberg will decide by the end of the week whether Raiders recruit Curtis Scott will be subject to the no-fault stand-down rule after meeting with his lawyer on Monday.

Greenberg met Sam Macedone and NRL integrity unit lawyer Joseph Collins early on Monday to discuss the bodycam footage worn by officers who arrested Scott in Moore Park during the Australia Day weekend.

Troubled centre Curtis Scott makes his first appearance for the Raiders.

Troubled centre Curtis Scott makes his first appearance for the Raiders.Credit:NRL Photos

"We had a very robust discussion, we covered all aspects of the matter and both of us got to have a say," Macedone said. "[Greenberg] is a pretty busy man, flying from place to place, I’m hoping by the end of the week we will have an answer.

"He viewed the footage and I didn’t question his thoughts on it. All I can do to hope now. It’s not up to me."

Scott played in the Raiders' trial match against the Bulldogs on Saturday night, unsure whether he will get another chance to pull on the Canberra jersey before his case is done and dusted.

Scott was allegedly pepper-sprayed, Tasered and handcuffed after falling asleep under a tree at Moore Park after a drunken night out with friends at the Ivy nightclub.

Police allege Scott threw a mobile phone at a passing car in Paddington before assaulting two police officers. The defence case is set to rely heavily on four separate body-worn cameras by the four police officers involved in the incident, which Greenberg has now viewed in full.

"[Greenberg] certainly got my view of things," Macedone said. "I’ve put that across nicely and politely, but he has to form his own view."

Macedone took over the case on the request of Raiders chief executive Don Furner, following Scott's split with outspoken lawyer Danny Eid.

Advertisement
Loading

"I’m adopting the subtle approach and not going for the throat," Macedone said. "I am just here to resolve something peacefully. You don’t get anywhere by jumping up and down."

If stood down under the NRL's "no-fault" policy by chief executive Todd Greenberg, who reviewed the body-cam footage worn by police last week, Macedone will attempt to get Scott's hearing date expedited to before the NRL season start. Scott's next court date currently sits at March 20, a week after the Raiders season opener on March 13.

As a condition of his bail, Scott not allowed to consume alcohol or be intoxicated in a public place.

"I'll be applying for the expedited hearing so we can get this thing out of the road," Macedone said.

Most Viewed in Sport

Loading